Saturday, February 7, 2009

Immigration

I don't know if I have ever mentioned this,but, my uncle lives in Piedras Negras. My mom, my aunts, and I go often to see him. He lived here in the United States for almost thirty years. He got deported two or three years ago. It was a big shock to all of us because we all thought that he had his residency. He moved to Piedras Negras so his wife can go back and forth and it won't be so far. Anyway, every time we go we always take clothes, toys, and stuff for the needy, especially for the kids. Right before school started we took bags that we had filled with a box of crayons a notebook, glue, a folder, pencils, and a ruler and past them out in one of the poorest neighborhoods. They would run to our van so they could get a bag. They just melted my heart.
This last time we went, my uncle told us of this family he met that was in the same situation that he was. They were living in Dallas when this happened. Now the husband is the night guard of this car body shop. They let him and his family live there. He gets paid $100.00 a week. This young family, of five, in their early thirties is living in one big room with no hot water. They have to warm the water in the stove to take showers. The husband is the one that got deported. She is a white citizen living with her husband and kids in Mexico. Wait the story gets better. Their oldest son is disabled and is wheelchair bound. She has to take him to Dallas once a month for treatments alone. Her husband can't very well go with her. They are in a tough situation. I just feel so sad that families have to go through this type of ordeal. Immigration could care less that the kids are US Citizens. They can be a lot better off here in the US but they are stuck in Mexico.
We went to go meet them and take them some things that they might need, but they weren't there. I was so disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment